Birding before the rains……


The forecast for yesterday was cloudy with an 80% chance of rain.  Well, for me that meant there was a 20% chance that it wouldn’t rain.  Ann and I ate breakfast and it hadn’t started to rain yet, so we were thinking that maybe we were home free.  We decided to head out.  On the way, we saw some ducks in a pond behind a nearby Firestone store.  We saw Green-winged Teals and Northern Pintails there.

Northern Pintail with Green-winged Teal in the background.

Northern Pintail with Green-winged Teal in the background.

We had not been to San Angelo State Park in several days so we decided to go to the the bird blind there.  We were hoping to see a Spotted Towhee that had been reported there.  It would be an addition to our 2015 Big Year list.  We were not disappointed as it did make an appearance, and the other bird species were quite active, considering the oncoming cold front.  We were able to see  many other species.  We were not so lucky in seeing a Verdin, that also had been reported earlier.  With the skies being heavily clouded the light was somewhat low.  However I was able to come away with these images.

Curve-billed Thrasher

Curve-billed Thrasher

female Northern Cardinal eyeballing that upside-down peace sign created by that hanging branch of a Cholla plant.

female Northern Cardinal eyeballing that upside-down peace sign created by that hanging branch of a Cholla plant.

A feisty Spotted Towhee

A feisty Spotted Towhee

Pyrrhuloxia

Pyrrhuloxia

Pyrrhuloxia

Pyrrhuloxia

Black-crested Titmouse

Black-crested Titmouse

Shortly after that final photo was captured, it started to rain.  We skedaddled out of there.  We were happy to head home, as I felt we had come away with some nice images and we added two more to our 2015 Big Year list; Spotted Towhee and Northern Pintail.  We are now at 86, with “only” 124 to go to make our goal of 210 by December 31.  Should be a piece of cake.  Right?  Yeah, right.  Stay tuned…… 🙂

Easter Weekend Photos


I decided to get out Saturday morning and see if anything was happening at San Angelo State Park.  It had been several weeks since we had visited the bird blind there.  I got a few images there, then we drove through the park to see what birds if any, might be hanging around.  I really wasn’t very impressed at the time that I had anything of quality.  I uploaded what I had and I found that some of them weren’t too bad.  I’ll let you have a look at them.

White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Curve-billed Thrasher

Curve-billed Thrasher

Canyon Towhee

Canyon Towhee

Cedar Waxwings

Cedar Waxwings

Lark Bunting

Lark Bunting

I hope you enjoyed these pictures.  Click on any of them to see an enlargement.